By Zack Blum, Jesse Endahl, Kenneth Kouot, and Stevie Hryciw
Mac management today
Managing Macs today is difficult and daunting. Whether you're considering commercial or open source options, there's friction in everything from getting started to keeping your Mac fleet updated and secure.
Commercial solutions today have three major problems:
- They're difficult to try and buy. Who wants to talk with a salesperson for weeks just to demo the product?
- They're hard to use. Should your Mac management product require sales engineers to come on-site just to teach you how to use it?
- They're insecure. Attackers increasingly target employee laptops, so it's ironic that some of the existing computer management products actually make your computers less safe!
Open source tools are available too, but they usually only work for companies that have the time, resources, and specialized IT engineering required to deploy, secure, and maintain them. The result is that most companies end up not managing their Macs at all—a major business and security risk.
As IT and security folks at Dropbox and Wikia, we experienced these pains firsthand. The lack of viable options was frustrating and made us less productive. We believe technology should help people do their best work and move companies forward, so we set out to build something incredible.
Today we're proud to announce Fleetsmith: the product that empowers anyone who manages Macs—IT, ops, security, office managers, and more—to manage an entire fleet easily, quickly, and securely. It automatically manages apps, settings, and security preferences across a Mac fleet and helps companies implement IT and security best practices.
To help us on our mission to democratize Mac fleet management, we raised $3.1 million in seed funding from Index Ventures and Harrison Metal. Our individual investors include Arash Ferdowsi, co-founder of Dropbox, Kevin Mahaffey, founder and CTO of Lookout, Scott Cannon, co-founder of Mailbox, and Zane Lackey, co-founder and CSO of Signal Sciences.
Fleetsmith features include:
- Fully automated packaging and patch management: Apps are automatically packaged and updated across an entire fleet, with optional update enforcement deadlines.
- Fleet-wide OS upgrades: Upgrade to macOS Sierra (and future major releases) in a few clicks.
- G Suite (formerly Google Apps) integration: Securely login and import users with G Suite.
- Device inventory: Centralized device inventory that eliminates spreadsheets and offers fleet health insights.
What customers are saying about us
"Compared to the paid solutions and open source options available today, Fleetsmith has been a breath of fresh air for our IT team. Super easy to configure, the flexibility of a cloud-based tool, and a security-focused backend. It was very obvious from the get-go that Fleetsmith was designed by folks who understand the day-to-day challenges of managing devices, from startup to enterprise.”
—Caleb Coy, IT Manager, Blurb
"Fleetsmith allows me to easily secure and manage my company's Macs. Securing employee computers is critically important as attackers increasingly target them, and choosing not to is a grave mistake no company should make.”
—Sean Byrne, Security Engineer, Patreon
“Fleetsmith allows us to easily enforce disk encryption and other critical security settings so we can meet our compliance obligations. It also saves my team the precious hours they would’ve spent manually provisioning and tracking laptops. Most importantly, Fleetsmith isn’t your traditional hard-to-use enterprise software—the UI is intuitive and best practices are built in.”
—David Cramer, CEO, Sentry
“As a fast-growing startup, we needed a scalable, best-in-class device management solution that could be implemented with no additional headcount. Fleetsmith met and exceeded our needs.”
—Andrew Peterson, CEO, Signal Sciences### Try Fleetsmith for free